Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Countdown Begins

In three weeks (approximately) I will be in an airplane on my way to Heathrow. I'm nervous, excited, and scared -- it's starting to sink in that I'm actually leaving my beloved Bay Area! I can't wait for all of my relatives and friends to come visit me in my new home, but, oh I am so nervous about starting at Oxford. It sounds so intimidating, studying Medieval Literature at Oxford. Or, as one girl told me, it sounds very over the top and romantic. I'm not sure whether she meant that as a compliment or not.
At any rate, I'm worried that I won't know as much as the other grad students (the list of thirty or so books that the English department wants me to "be familiar with" before I start classes in October isn't helping), that I'll be somehow not good enough, that my acceptance was all some sort of mistake, that I'll lose my passport on my way to the airport or on the way from the airport, that my roommates won't turn out to be nearly as cool as I think they are, that the heating in my house will be broken and my poor little California self will freeze to death, and, well, you get the point.
I'm sure I'll love it once I'm there and I realize how silly I've been to be frightened of a new place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, am I considered family or friend? I wasn't quite sure so I would say both but I didn't want to be presumptuous. I know you are going to do great by the way. I love your marketing site by the way